Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Samosas (Zamboozies)

This was an exciting recipe for a number of reasons. First, it was more involved (I've never deep-fried anything), second I was aiming to make something comparable to the dollar-per samosas that my friends brought back every week from their weekly Indian Tuesday excursions. Lastly, the particular recipe I used was vegetarian and thereby very inexpensive. It was also fun to learn that, though samosas originated in India, they are common across East Africa. The recipe I used was actually Kenyan.

First off was the cooking up of those lovely little mung beans. Then concocting the spicy-wonderful filling. I struggled for awhile with many small triangles of sticky dough (I'll probably just substitute egg roll wrappers next time), and threw in some raisins at the end for good measure. The frying, I must admit, was the most fun. All that hard work paid off in 3 minutes of quick sizzling and goldenness. That and it was rather delightful wearing a little apron in the kitchen. Misshapen though some of them were, I ended up with close to thirty, and they succeeded in the comparison. I even contemplated quitting one of my day jobs and just strolling a samosa cart through already quirky Fountain Square.

No comments:

Post a Comment